Friday 28 May 2010

Muskoka storm

I was sitting quietly on my deck, having just taken a bit of a dunk in the lake. With 30-degree C. temperatures, and a lake at about 23 degrees, it was a soothing break.

Working on my computer, I noticed that the wind had suddenly ceased. Not only that, but the heat had dissipated, and several little blackflies had suddenly attacked my legs. They hadn't been around in the heat lately.

Then, the rumbles...

The clouds were beautiful. Huge white anvils that rolled in. I knew we were in for something. I ran around securing everything I could think of. The angels were bowling and there would be hell to pay.

The poor geese and goslings looking like death was imminent. They hunkered down in the clover, under the tree that had lost a huge limb. Then, after the worst passed, they moved into the garden. The lawn was flooded.

I watched a neighbour rescue his raft. My trusty canoe, bought used when I was 15-years old, was full of water. They don't make them like that anymore!

This wee tree was sent a-tipping. Must take care of that later, but the mosquitoes are quite happy that now their little reservoirs are full, and swamps topped up. Blackflies require running water, but mosquitoes will benefit from the still water the storm has created.
Poor hosta plants. Pea-sized hail have rendered them rather sad-looking. Weary, shredded leaves will come back, but like life's pot holes which make you fight harder, they will fight for their lives.

My poor cucumbers. I wasn't totally convinced that they would survive the geese or Merry Muskrat, but they took some damage, too.

There is a hole in the forest canopy. One branch gone. It could have been much worse. Where has that saw gone?!

This morning I took my coffee and camera down to the lakefront. (Can't live without either!) The sun rose, as always.  Mosquitoes were mercilessly attacking. I took a few photos and retreated. Damage control will take place in full sun, when mosquitoes are taking their afternoon naps.
 

6 comments:

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Wow Jenn - that was quite a storm. Hope you don't have too much damage to clean up or repair.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Bonnie! I don't mind clean-up, I spent 10 days without power in S.E. Ontario during Ice Storm '98 —that was bad.

It's the mosquitoes that are horrific today, in the wet and cooler temps...

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

I don't envy you the mosquitoes in your part of the world. powerful weather though.

Cloudia said...

it's insects' world
we're just living in it :)




Aloha from Hawaii, Friend

Comfort Spiral

W.C.Camp said...

In Missouri we had a straight line wind storm a few years ago and it dropped about 10 trees on my property. Big wind, rain on my property but none next door - Really weird. Beautiful place that you have there. Great post. W.C.C.

marla annette stevens said...

photos of lands turtles turtoises ones of justs likes gaves land turtoises turtles aunt donna darlene hudson an gerald, missouri turtoises turtles walkings express an owenville, missouri april months founds him plushs turtles names shes rainbows females lands turtoises deserts turtles from las vegas, nevada 4 years now i,m writings from 267 east canaan rd. apartments b , duplexs gerald,missouri 63037 marla annette stevens.