Monday 2 November 2009

Acronym soup


Just when I thought I had them all figured out. Another acronym, not to mention ones from the medical field. With a background in education I had them all figured out. Learning language is a transferable skill! Then, when I did the research for my book, having provided palliative care for my parents, I learned the acronyms that related to seniors and aging, and from that aspect of medical care.


On Friday, Oct., 2nd, the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit (SMDHU) found that ponds in Wahta Mohawk Territory have mosquitoes with eastern equine encephalitis (EEE).

October 7, 2009 - by Matt Driscoll
A rare and potentially lethal virus has been found in mosquitoes in the Wahta area.


I am grateful we are approaching November frosts. And speaking of gratitude - I was listening to one of my favourite radio hosts, Rita Celli, on CBC. She was bemoaning November and posed the question:

"How do you get through November?"

Usually a so positive person, she featured a clip from another journalist, bemoaning her impending colonoscopy. Now, really, that is too much information for me. If I wanted to hear about such I would read a blog somewhere, like my friend, 24 years old, with stomach cancer.

But I did phone in. This is what I said...

I get through November by thinking of the 5,000 dead of H1N1. I refuse to listen to those born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I refuse to think of insignificant issues like some cooler weather, and dark days.  I look in gratitude for our health care system, its protocols to ensure fairness. I think of mad line-ups at refugee camps and government corruption and realize that I am living in a wonderful country, on a wonderful continent.


I look around  me at the burnt umber of the oak leaves, one of the last to keep their foliage. I see the pumpkin orange of the Chinese Lanterns in the garden. I look around me and seek solace in nature and beauty. I seek comfort in having me health. Yesterday, I took a bag of drugs, (yes, a bag) to our Meals on Wheels client. He was unshaven, incoherent and untidy. He makes my health issues look small and insignificant. I look around and hear, really listen to the deep chimes blowing in the winds of November gales. I listen to the chickadees chirp at the bird feeder. I try not to listen to the guns of the hunters in the distance, and hope they are well back in the forest.

I have learned, after 52 years on this earth, to appreciate my world and its changes. For who knows what lies ahead. Well, in Canada snow is rather inevitable, but I will appreciate that, too. Last year's mums still smile in the garden!

May you have a strong foundation when the winds of change shift. 
--Bob Dylan

2 comments:

Cloudia said...

A lovely thoughtful post.
Aloha, Jenn


Comfort Spiral

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you, Cloudia. Your attitude is all you can control!