Wednesday 24 September 2008

Bats in our belfry

We have experiences with bats here and there. I loved watching them come out at dusk and flit about. We know they are eating their weight in bugs!

Out in the garage fending off bugs, I was calling to get the cats in for the night I spotted one of our favourite, bug-eating friends on the inner wall! I had turned on the light and it had frozen on the wall.

In 2003, we found one in our old fireplace. The fireplace was doomed by our inspector and it is now gone, but the dog was quite keen on the bat in our belfry.

Bandy, dad's dog spotted them.















We put up a bat box, which hasn't done well. They say to put it in the morning sun, but this is too busy a spot with raccoons, nocturnal flying squirrels, and cats running around.

1 comment:

Powell River Books said...

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of bats. I could hear mine again last night at dusk wiggling out from their under the roof sleeping quarters to head out and feast on the flying critters. By day the swallows do their thing, and by night the bats. We hardly have any bug problems even though we are right on the water. - Margy