Pages

Monday, 10 August 2026

Garden tales

 Things have cooled off some. Outside chores aren't as onerous. A bit of rain fell this morning. The garbage was put out at 6:15, it was a lovely morning. Not as many bugs. You could smell the petrichor. (I learned that word from Gaelyn Geogypsy!)  

Petrichor is the earthy scent often associated with rain falling on dry soil or rock. The term was introduced by Australian researchers Isabel Joy Bear and Richard Grenfell Thomas in a 1964 paper in Nature.  Wikipedia

I saw something move. A large toad! I haven't seen one in a long time. The 2 x 4 is there to stop The Freds from going inside the drain pipe. The toad could get out, I suppose, but I have covered it up. 


We had a chat, but it was somewhat disgruntled. I set it free to eat those bugs. 

Daffodil garden repair

Of course, the daffodils are done, but there are other flowers here. I've written about our massive July 1st and 2nd storms. The bushes on the right were half flattened. They are tall, wild, woodland sunflowers, I think!


I straightened it and tied it once, but the thing fell over again. 


This time I used a strap from a no longer functioning trailcam.
 

The fox likes to circle this garden. I figured out she is hunting for leopard frogs in the grass. I often have to avoid them when I mow the lawn. 
 

The lilac hydrangea is doing well beside the sunflowers. 


Another natural plant, Burdock. 



Sadly, it is only the beginning of August, but my cherry tomato plants and my zucchini have just about given their all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I am so glad to have you here! Fans, blog buddies, and positive, constructive comments, make my day. 'Anonymous' creeps me out!