Pages

Monday, 27 July 2026

Barry Beaver

 Down I went. The latest tree to fall in the July 1st storm is dying. Barry has been whittling away at it. 🦫 



You should see me climbing over the tree trunks to get to the camera! This was me leaving. I suppose it is good exercise.
 



I looked down at the wetland, and could see the invasive European frog bit growing over the open water. I couldn't see any evidence of Barry. 

Frogbit vs. Duckweed We have both in the wetland! 




And then I realized why! He has been here, but the frog bit fills back in around him.


Barry Beaver's Videos

The day before this visit, Barry was in the water and slapped his tail on the water. This day, he was perfectly silent. A bit agitated with me there, but no tail slap. 

10 comments:

  1. Well, that log climbing is good exercise for both agility and balance! Kudos for you to do it!
    What a great adventure you have just climbing through your forest.

    Here is the answer to your question copied from my reply on my blog in case you don't go back and look:

    In the 1980's I took a class twice which was an 8 week course. I don't recall the name of the 'program' that was used, but we followed the training of an animal trainer who trained dogs for movies.
    I took the course with my first dog and my second dog a couple of years later.
    My first dog was an absolute success with her temperament. I was asked to take her to Utility and train her for Search and Rescue. I couldn't at the time as I was a young mom.

    But over the years I have gone back to the steps of training and modified it for my mules and my dogs. It works.
    If I can find the paperwork I'll let you know what it is called.

    I've adopted new methods to add to the original training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lBarry in the frog bit -- wow. That would be an icky swim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to google frog bit. I thought it was like scat but couldn't imagine a frog creating that much. Seems those green things are tons of little plants. Barry looks fat from all of those wood shavings. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari OM
    Hey there Barry!... though I am of the view that is Duckweed and not Frogbit; it is very small and fairly rootless, whilst Frogbit has long roots and is more static. The larger leaves you show with the from look to be a Hydrocharis or similar. Lovely footage of the busy fellow! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. We get ourselves hooked to watching every movement of beavers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't seem like the finest of environments for Barry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's a big healthy boy, I would've loved to seen the tail slap. The equivalent of a rabbit thumping their back feet, not really that intimidating. Be careful climbing over that huge tree, what an obstacle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barry is such a busy little character. I love how you keep checking in on him and noticing all the changes around the wetland. The image of you climbing over tree trunks just to reach the camera made me smile, that dedication definitely pays off when you capture moments like these. Nature always has so much happening quietly if we take the time to look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you sure that isn’t duckweed?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. I am so glad to have you here! Fans, blog buddies, and positive, constructive comments, make my day. 'Anonymous' creeps me out!