Tuesday 22 May 2018

Woodpecker courtship

They are amazing. I am assuming this is a courtship dance, even though I cannot see a red head on the one. JB's seen them do this dance on the lawn.


Woodpecker dance from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Do you remember the yellow-bellied sapsucker on the satellite dish? The males tap on the metal to attract a female. That was a funny video. Well, I came across him, again, down in the forest.

Yellow-bellied sapsucker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This is what the sapsucker does!

6 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Always a privilege to watch nature's intimacy! YAM xx

Olga said...

That is quite the courtship. It must be spring!

William Kendall said...

Well now that is different!

I was watching a woodpecker, I think of the pileated variety, at work at Rideau Hall yesterday.

Red said...

I've seen this dance . It's absolutely fascinating.

Ella said...

OK! You got a visit from Woody Woodpecker's family... :)

Powell River Books said...

Interesting dance. Takes two to tango. - Margy