Monday 5 February 2018

Mr. Tree Frog is in the building

My faithful readers know... (this is blogpost #4958) I have a gray tree frog that accidentally came in the house with a plant last fall. He suddenly began singing, and I'm going to raise some mealworms for him!

He is sounding pretty good. The pot lid protects him, I think. Hooper likes to use this plant as a bed. (SIGH)

 You can hear tree frog singing. You can hear Hooper meowing at me. Fake Mews. He'd been fed.

Tree frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Some might find these gross, but they like them. Some people, on Twitter, thought having froggie in the house was gross!


The goldfish like them, too. I keep them in a jar, and pick out a few every night for him.
I checked out the info on this site: raising mealworms. You put them into flour, although there are lots of options. I bought them from the pet store in town. They dig little furrows in the flour in the dark.



Remember our tree frog? This is what they look like, although I haven't seen this one yet.They do change colour.
This is, of course, in the summer!

tree frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.grey tree frog from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Froggie knows it's onto a good thing! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I have only seen one in my life, at Purdon.

troutbirder said...

Not gross at all. I've never collected a tree frog though my sons raise sever newts in aquarium . They weren't gross either and liked hamburger...:)

Nancy J said...

Well, if the animals cannot go out to find a meal, you have to provide it. Love the froggy song.

Red said...

Nothing surprises me about the critters that inhabit your house.

William Kendall said...

I wonder what the frog will think come spring when he's back outside again.

Angie said...

The singing sounds a little different than I expected - and I think it is cool to have a froggie in the house. I am a little more concerned about the mealworms - I suppose keeping a lid on the container keeps them out of the rest of your flour?

Lady Fi said...

Wow - that is amazing!

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't let the mealworms live long enough to become beetles Angie. They are popped into the fish tank or the plant.