Sunday 10 December 2017

The furnace is kaput

Daisy likes the heat from the goldfish tank.
It's been a stressful few days. Wednesday we had our furnace inspected. There were issues, including a pinhole leak, and they were forced to shut it down. Thankfully, we have a wood insert in the fireplace in the basement TV room. We only really use it to supplement the heating system, or to warm the basement when some watches TV down there.

Our temperatures have been hovering around the zero mark, just below in the night time.

This morning it was chilly, but the house keeps the heat well, and it was 18 C. when I got up. I have programmed the thermostat to 16 or 17 C. overnight, this wasn't bad.

Hubby is watching curling, with his ledger of statistics, he's a happy camper. I've been watching sappy Christmas movies. What the heck.
Daisy was happy with the basement fireplace!


Anyway, we have lots of wood. The furnace inspector offered us electric heaters, but I knew I could keep this going. We bought 2 cords, which I stacked in August.
The rest of it is in the shed


Mourning dove ON the feeder!
The first night I woke at 3:00 a.m. to make sure the fire was still going. It was.

I wasn't sure how much to bank the fire- it to leave it overnight. It's so much easier to rekindle the fire than to start a new one. So far, so good.

tonight it will be cold!

Upstairs, the tree is lit.
The top lights aren't working.
Perhaps we'll have to buy a new one.
Both my presents are under the tree.
Hubby did this when I was away!


11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Well, that's not such a fun Christmas present, but it seems that you are making the best of it.

Anvilcloud said...

Well, that's not such a fun Christmas present, but it seems that you are making the best of it.

Christine said...

Time for new Led lights! They are brighter so you don't need as many I've found. Hope you can get the furnace fixed soon.

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely photos ~ fire looks so inviting and despite the furnace kaput ~ you seem blessed ~ hope you are able to replace or fix the furnace ~

Happy Week ahead to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Will you get a whole new furnace, or can this be repaired? Meantime, keep that one burning.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We replaced our furnace with one of the new high efficiency units a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. Burning wood is fine for heat and may be even a little romantic, but it sure creates a whole lot of pollution.

Karen said...

Tonight is looking pretty chilly.Oh Dear Jenn, I hope you are able to get your new furnace before too long. We have an oil furnace but no oil, so we're stuck with wood only. Maybe by next year I will be able to afford a propane furnace?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari om
Brrrrrrr... my heating boiler also crashed!!! Am in edinburgh for a few days to be warm(er), but need to gdt repair sorted this week. Sigh. YAMxx

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Brrrr. The coldest I've ever experienced was low 20s F. I wonder if the birds wouldn't mind a muffler. :-)

Red said...

I hope you get your furnace replaced soon and that you can go back to being comfortable.

Hootin Anni said...

Nice images!!! I'd be trying to shake my gifts under the tree by now! As for the lights on the top of the tree...maybe just a loose light bulb?!!