Tuesday 5 January 2016

The bird bath saga

It has had the biscuit. 

Before

After

I smashed it. 



Meantime, here is *my* sad, yet trivial tale! 

It's so cold that when my heater became unplugged, my bird bath snapped. I replugged it, wrapped some duct tape around the connection to better secure it and waited all day and over night. (BTW, duct tape doesn't stick well in -20 temperatures!)

This morning, the frozen top snapped from the melted bottom. I think. I presume the heater still works. You can see how it went from bad to worse. The spider cracks simply grew!
The birds, sadly, keep coming to the bird bath and bonking their little beaks on the ice. To no avail!



Thankfully, I can buy another one, as my deer and birds love the hydration, but how do I fill it? The heater clearly isn't powerful enough to melt the ice, if I fill it from tap water, will it manage? Will the cement adapt to the temperature change? I don't know!
 I need a fiery dragon to keep it thawed.

5 comments:

William Kendall said...

I can see that being problematic!

Red said...

Well, too bad about the bird bath heater. Somebody worked up a sweat when the birdbath was destroyed.

Nancy J said...

A dilemma, what about a tin one, or a huge stainless steel pan? Plastic basin in large size, wrapped in frost proof packaging?? Can you have it in a more sheltered place? Cover it with an umbrella that is equally frost preventing? What about a mini verandah sort of tiny building? After all, you built the dock, a bird shed to cover their bath should be a piece of cake or a walk in the park.. NO I meant the snow.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You mean that, by now and in this technological age, no one has come up with the superheated, undercooled, overcover spandex bird bather deluxe??!!! Gap in the market, I'd say... YAM xx

Powell River Books said...

Now that's cold! I've done some bad things with cookware going from hot to cold. Quick temperature changes are problematic, I should learn that. - Margy