Tuesday 15 September 2015

September: signs of fall

We had a lovely dump of rain on the weekend, total 52mm (~2"), which filled the goldfish pond through my water barrel, which drains from the eavestrough! It's draining pretty quickly, however, with the holes the mice have chewed in it!




The frog pond filled with water, with little bullfrog tadpoles, the only tadpoles left, dancing in the rain. The man, in the next picture, eschewed the crosswalk in the rain, choosing to walk in the traffic lane. I wonder what he was thinking? He was headed towards his pick-up truck, but looked like a dumb move to me!


Our county has redone the roads and added a paved shoulder. This really makes a difference for bikes, making it much safer. I'm glad to see my tax dollars being put here. It extends the life of the road, as well. We have a lot of people biking on their own, and in organized marathons. It will reduce stress between car drivers and bicyclists.


More signs: beautiful maple trees, and election signs!


We went to lunch Sunday afternoon, at Fort Hemlock pub. I love watching the water, and the pigeons.

9 comments:

eileeninmd said...

We had a lot of rain too, I love your pond and fish! Have a happy day!

William Kendall said...

I've been noticing fall colours here too. Thus far I've only photographed the one example- have no idea when I'll post it!

Kay said...

Thank you for a look up north. They've added mire bike lanes here too but some of the lanes have caused problems for street parking. We have one bike lanes that abruptly stops near us and has nowhere to go.

Nancy J said...

Mice chewing the plastic, what a nuisance. It all looks good, and maple leaves, beautiful.

DUTA said...

Oh, rain. I'm envious of the wet road, the clouds , the puddles. It's so hot in my neck of the woods!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Bike lanes are a great idea on open roads... Everything looks so fresh from the rain. YAM xx

Red said...

We've got to encourage more biking and fewer cars. If an old guy like me can do 20 K in a little over an hour many people could ride their bikes. That's my rant.

EG CameraGirl said...

The rain has been lovely!

Jenn Jilks said...

This is fine, if you have your health, Red. When I was biking I gave myself a long-term heel issue. I cannot jog, either. The elliptical has worked well for me. I just stop when my heel gives me a problem.