Thursday 16 July 2015

Catalpa tree leaves

August hailstorm!


 The blossoms are beautiful, and it is an impressive tree. The blossoms spent, they will grow long seed pods. We have two just outside our front door, as well as a ton in the rest of the forest. I love them. They draw birds, bees, and lots of insects.

The leaves, at the end of summer, are larger than my hand once they are full size.
jade-coloured beetle
All of our cats like to climb it.
This is baby Buster and the late Felix

The birds love the shelter of the leaves, as do the cats. The other day, a pair of song sparrows scared off a purple finch!
orchid spider

Ancient Catalpa tree in Westport

I started taking photos of the Catalpa tree leaves in mid-May. I am fascinated how a tree can create these huge leaves. I made the photos into a video.


catalpa leaves from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
I took photos beginning mid-May, as the leaves began to grow. Ain't nature grand?!

5 comments:

eileeninmd said...

What a cool tree, the leaves look huge! Have a happy day!

William Kendall said...

Quite a tree!

Baby Buster and Felix look particularly adorable.

Nancy J said...

What a grand tree, love the way you have shown leaves growing, but my pick for today... guess... Buster and Felix of course.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Love it... the one you are standing by is astoundingly handsome!!! YAM xx

Red said...

That's a new tree to me.