Sunday 11 January 2015

♪♫ Who is at my window, who?

Several deer. That is who. A whole herd, in fact. Males and females.

This is an anthem I used to sing at church. Welford Russell anthem, "Who Is at My Window, Who?I love this one. Silly me, I will stand at the window and sing it, still. I gave up church for Advent awhile back. Just couldn't take it any more.

Who is at my window, who?
Go from my window, go.
Cry no more there like a stranger.
But in at my door thou go.

One with what looks like a broken ankle. I'm coming to terms with it not so much tragic, as the cycle of life. When Daisy and I took a walk on the wetland, we discovered a couple inches of snow, with a layer of ice, and a space where the snow had sunk, then a foot of snow.
It was terrible walking, and I'm sure that's what could have happened.



One of 'our' deer will be food for the Coyote or Coywolf. She has a broken leg, methinks. The cycle of life. They take the weak, it is true. A coyote cannot bring down a deer.
 The strong ones can escape, and run like the wind. One of our bucks has an owie, too! (You can see it about 2:15 on the video) Look like either a bite, or a scrape on some wire. We'll see how he fares.

Meantime, our doe, Sister (I think), helps herself to the bird seed, walking up the sidewalk to forage. I expect her to ring the door bell, at some point. "Let's go, people!"

It looks painful. She is nursing it. I am sure some predator will put her out of her misery. This is the way things go. Last year we had a deer carcass in the side yard. I'm sure some thing will take care of her. She still managed to fend off a fawn, creeping in on her nibbles of food.
I'm still waiting for deer antler sheds. They all have a pair on their heads, but soon their hormones shut down, and their bodies stop sending blood to the antlers. They will drop off to save energy until spring. I'm hoping to find one. It's been 4 years I've searched on our 16 acres. I hope, like the owl search, I will be successful soon!


Crippled deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


6 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Amazing how the damaged doe can still jump with apparent ease over the fence. Can almost feel the pain just watching her. Your videos are always so well focused and sharp. I certainly appreciate them.
Cheers,
Florence

Out To Pasture said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeniseinVA said...

Poor wee thing but as you say, it is the cycle of life

William Kendall said...

It is the cycle of life. Still, poor deer.

Red said...

Many people do not see these injuries.These animals disappear in a hurry. I saw a doe this fall with the left hind leg badly twisted. It didn't seem to bother her but I'm sure she couldn't run very fast.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Having seen animals with similar injuries, I would say that she has caught that leg on a fence or branch whilst jumping and wrenched it free - certainly severely sprained if not broken. Nature is amazing and if she doesn't succumb, as you say, to predators (who themselves need food), she will prove her worth as sturdy stock! Great video work. YAM xx