Monday 15 September 2014

Elmwood Cemetery – Perth, Ontario

A cemetery is a peaceful place
On the way home from my client's house, I popped into a near-by Cemetery. I was looking for the names of the people who built our house around 1986 (Mr. & Mrs. Love). They weren't there. The 2nd owner is in the cemetery in Perth. The previous owners (3rd) moved back to the UK to care for ailing parents. We are the 4th.

I've lived in newer and older homes. Our Toronto house was very old, over 150 years at the time, that was the one where I grew up. Our current one is an interesting bungalow.

I heard a story that the second owner (Mr. Lehmann) accidentally shot himself, whilst cleaning his gun. He is buried in the Perth cemetery.
Second owners of our house.
Anna lives in town.
I went into Perth and went into the Cemetery there. I found out, through ancestry.ca, where Mr. Lehmann was buried. I realized that while I was tracking hubby's family, I could search for anyone there. I knew the approximate date of his death, when the house changed hands, and found out more!

Perth's Elmwood Cemetery is very old, since the town was established in 1816. You can search for a particular marker, out of the 9797 plots. It's amazing what people are recording.
I found Mr. Lehmann's marker easily.

We used to visit Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto. I remember taking Caitlin when she was wee, < 2 years old, and telling off a kid who was chasing the peacocks.
We regularly check out hubby's markers in Chesterville, just to make sure they are in good repair. The cemetery in Delta is amazing, too. We visited Chaffeys Lock cemetery in summer. We ought to go visit Mom and Dad's plots in Torrance sometime, perhaps in spring.
 

15 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

It's amazing what one can learn roaming through a cemetery and reading the headstones!

Olga said...

There is a sense of peace from a walk around a cemetery--and often a sense of history as well.

eileeninmd said...

I have visited many cemeteries looking for my ancestors.. I have found a few and taken photos of the headstones.. The cemeteries are peaceful, I like to read the markers too.

Unknown said...

Hi,
It sounds like you have a copy of the title search or a copy of the deed....was the name "Diamond" on there anywhere? I think the farm that lot came off of was a Diamond farm at one time.

Kay said...

Those are really beautiful grave markers. They must have been wealthy to afford that.

Anonymous said...

Trancing ancestry is so fascinating. We've just taken out a subscription at Ancestry.ca and plan on doing lots of research over the winter months.

carol l mckenna said...

Fascinating post and photos and Edith Hamilton was an intriquing woman from what I have read ~ Great post for OWT

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Red said...

These cemeteries seem to be well kept and most important records are kept.

William Kendall said...

Peaceful shots, but cemeteries usually are peaceful.

I remember once exploring a cemetery between North Bay and Huntsville; apparently there was a Civil War veteran buried there, but I never did find the gravestone.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
I too like to wander churchyards; garnering the sense of lineage. YAM xx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love poking around old cemeteries especially where I know or know of some of the people.

Christine said...

wow you can get good info from ancestry.ca!

Powell River Books said...

Old cemeteries have such character. Mom and Dad are in a military cemetery with only a flat, ground level grave marker. - Margy

VioletSky said...

I enjoy walking through cemeteries, but I have never actually gone in search of any family members (not sure where, or if, any are buried with markers). Interestingly, I have posted about a few grave markers and received messages from descendants who found the post while doing an internet search. I feel as if I have helped them in some small way.

Jenn Jilks said...

This property has never been a farm. It's not arable, with mostly wetland around us, RF.
We do not have any Diamonds listed, only 4 owners, all but 3 of us retired!