Sunday 31 August 2014

Stacking wood, I had helpers!

Mostly moral support, but what can a woman do?
First job was to clear out the shed. As I went in, I spotted a snake. This was Friday afternoon.



The truck arrived!

Willows Farm in Balderson

Here is where the moral support comes in... Daisy. She was napping in the goldenrod. Then, very cat-like, parked herself right in my path.


Buster came by, but he was only passing through.

Then I had to stop and take a photo of a plane, then grab a drink of water.

Dorah was watching from the house. She was no help at all!
There was a dock spider supervising, too.

Saturday morning it was still there.
The wood fairy didn't help out at all!


No one worked on it during the night.
I began around 9 a.m., NO helpers until hubby began to help, having done his dishes.

 Saturday Morning

Be careful with your back, JB.
He was loading up the garage.
Things had to slow down, as I realized the wagon tires were flat. Nothing is ever straightforward, is it? Then I had to move the old wood to the back of the house to make room for the new wood in the shed.
Time out, while I had to pump out the tires in the trailer.


Hubby was helping by putting some old wood in the garage. He also went out and killed a caesar wrap for me for lunch, as well as scoring some boxes in town (for the debris that will be our kindling). Then he had to go back in to buy some groceries for his special diet.

I soldiered on!

I stopped for a moment to check out the Eastern Comma that morphed. More on that later. I'd been trying to film a Question mark, but accidentally deleted the video when I thought it hadn't emerged. I was pretty tired, I suppose.
Last week, an Eastern Comma broke free.
They are ubiquitous on my Hops.


 I stopped for lunch to watch the US Open Tennis, with Milos Raonic vs. Burgos (who played rather well!). We have two Canadians in it this year. Raonic and Bouchard. Both hard-working young people. 

We were watching for my cyberfriends, who were at the match!
Did you think I spotted them - it's a fuzzy shot from the TV?
This is his selfie. I love their t-shirts!
@SocialKeenan and wife Julie

This has to be Keenan trying for phone service!
He has lots of friends wanting selfies
for vicarious thrills!
Lots of photos of Raonic floating about.
Thank goodness, Raonic won. He didn't play his best, but he did win. @ITVTennis, they were showing it in TSN 5, were pretty harsh making fun of Milos' hair, several times. Really.

Back to work after the match, I found more friends. There was a honeybee right in the doorway, with a home in one of the mice tunnels. It went in, I covered up the hole, not wanting to be stung. I unburied it when I covered up the wood for the rain.

I'm about 3/4 done, but we had 20mm rain last night, and more this morning. I had to put away the boxes of kindling in the shed. I had a feeling... We shall see if I go out. I'm pretty achy!

7 comments:

Red said...

This was a super story except that my prediction for the ending was wrong. I hoped to find that the snake was moved, killed or left , but no the snake was forgotten!

Nancy J said...

Jennifer, there is for sale down here a type of wood elevator, put the wood on, set the motor going, and up and along it goes into the shed. I want one, do you?? Will find the web site for you, but maybe just for sale in NZ. Your story gives me a smile, no snakes, spiders like yours, our cat doesn't venture when we are working there, but a break for a choc bar and juice did help. Hope the magic fairy did some work overnight!! Hugs,Jean.

William Kendall said...

The cats know that supervision of humans is an absolute requirement.

The snake's a nice touch. They're not venomous here, and they do a nice job keeping the mice in check.

Jenn Jilks said...

Snakey disappeared, Red! Gone, gone, gone! It pulled its little head back on and I didn't see it.
I did look. I'm sorry I left you hanging!

I managed to finish it all, Jean. Two hours this morning then the kids came for a visits! Whew.

Kay said...

Snakes and spiders? Yikes! Good for you getting all that work done. I would have put it off even longer. I'm glad you had moral support.

Kay L. Davies said...

Impeccable sense of timing, those kids: wait until you've finished.
I remember stacking wood, chopping wood, gathering kindling, etc., etc. I was much younger then, with energy.
Good for you, all that work and only one out of all those cats willing to help.
Luv, K

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
There is something so wonderful about this post; life, happening. YAM xx