Monday 4 August 2014

Goldenrod crab spider, bees, flowers, bugs, blooms, beetle

There are a couple of reasons that I patrol the garden with my macro lens. Stress relief, for the most part.
Firstly, I have contracted a terrible bought of contact dermatitis. I am not sure if it is from the Wild parsnip, which I keep coming across in my garden, or the Poison ivy plot down by the meadow. Even if you burn these plants, the oils go into the air and it comes into contact with you. I'm not complaining, I should have known. I'm really taking strong meds, though. Prednisone. The patch on my skin is about the size of my hand. I was into emergency, out in 90 min. with a Rx. Hooray for small town ERs!

Secondly, hubby, determined to get in top shape while confronting his cancer, has been revisiting the physiotherapist to tighten up his exercises for his physical issues. Also, he's been losing weight, and working out regularly. He is now confronting his stomach issues, and is doing a cleansing diet under the supervision of Dr. Jen, our delightful naturopath.

Our local store, Foodsmiths, is fabulous for all sorts of locavore, and organic foods, as well as food supplements. It's been a challenge to create some new dishes, including foods he doesn't like, nor knows how to cook. Quinoa, Couscous, are on the diet plan, and I've been helping him make some new dishes like Sweet potato salad. He's to cut out sulphites, and all sorts of chemicals, rampant in our processed foods, while awaiting the results of his food intolerance testing.  It's quite the plan, but I'm proud of him for learning how to eat and cook new things. I've been helping him out as he masters the fine art of the Organic smoothie, and cooking things like Quinoa porridge!

So, here I play with my camera. Checking out the minutia in my garden and fields. Thank you, dear readers, for your visitations and your comments! I need this distraction and entertainment!


The moths are happily dancing in my petunias.


Goldenrod Crab Spider or Flower Spider (Misumena vatia)

These are wicked little spiders! As I was taking its photo, a bumble bee came by. It ran at the bee, you can see the bee's bum as it flew away. (I'm not really quick enough.) 


Caitlin and I both bought Sputnik plants.
They are natives, and we had them at the lakeshore
of our Bala home.

Just for more fun, we had a massive Dock spider on the patio door. It was up at the top. This little one was down below nearer the ground. I guess they had an agreement!



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great shots - love those flowers.

Nancy J said...

Jennifer, like you, I find a walk round with my camera soothes the troubled mind, and always leaves me a lot more peaceful, with whatever is happening here. Hugh is continuing to have days full of pain all day, not every day but often enough to be troubling, next hospital steroid injection visit in 2 weeks..Hooray.I am fascinated by your insects, the identification, and plants galore, and I, too, am so thankful for our nearest hospital, 25 minutes away, always superb care. Hugs to you, Jean.

William Kendall said...

Some of these shots will give an arachnophobic bad dreams!

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad you got some stress relief!

Joe Todd said...

Jennifer I guess I'm just not a bug person. I think I'm starting to itch LOL.. Have you ever been to The Bondi Resort? I watched the video and thought it looked like an interesting place.

Pearl said...

chasing a bumble bee?! tough little fella.

Jenn Jilks said...

I don't think you are, Joe!
yes, I've been to Bondi many times. The first time when I was 15, in Jan. for winter skiiing!
You can read more here, and about when we went for a week in 2013!

Powell River Books said...

I found a new bug out by the garden, but boy was it yucky. I came upon a dead mouse and carrion beetles were gnawing away. You could even hear them. I passed on taking a picture of that! - Margy

Anonymous said...

Camera walks are my form of relaxation as well. Although sometimes when I download the pix and try to decide what to keep and what to toss, the stress comes back ;>). (just looking at the six million I've taken here in Alaska so far .... yikes!).

I'd love to know the recipe for sweet potato salad. Congrats to your hubby for being proactive on his health and wellness.