Tuesday 6 May 2014

Wood frog tadpoles have hatched!

The wood frog tadpoles are out and about. They are so cool! I am fascinated with the cycle of life.

Egg mass in the pond
Suddenly they are hatched tadpoles! I went into the pond in my
Adult wood frog – they often cross my path as I
walk in summer in the forest.
chest waders, curious as to their status. We had a bit of a cold spell, and I was concerned. I knew where the eggs had been laid, and, sure enough, they were all happily sitting in the sunshine.
I love doing pond studies! They are happily sheltered in the grass end of the pond, in knee-deep water. The rest of the pond is much colder, and thigh-deep.
They are so wee!
The video is fun, to see the wriggly little critters moving about!



Wood frog tadpoles from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
They've hatched in our vernal pond, and they are swimming about by the millions! I scooped one up for a close-up. Last year's foliage protects them. The green algae shows the mass in which the eggs were laid.

5 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Strewth - if they all develop the cats might change their view of frogs!!! YAM xx

Carver said...

The cycles of life are fascinating. Great shots and information.

William Kendall said...

Good shots!

They're really small, even fully grown!

Red said...

Good show of frogs and their life. You encourage me to find my rubber boots and get out in the pond.

eileeninmd said...

I've been seeing some tadpoles in our pond too. I love hearing the sounds of the frogs. Cute frog photo..