Tuesday 11 February 2014

Wintertime sights, snow crystals, winter activities

Visited here last spring
When we visited this spot, in the spring, we found many beautiful birds. I also lost my $75 lens hood in the rushing water! (I ordered in another.) There was no danger of losing the hood on this day. The rushing water wasn't rushing much.

Later, in summer, we spotted geese, red-winged blackbirds, a muskrat, a snapping turtle, blue heron, dragonfly, water lilies, a beaver dam, and a pair of mallards at this location.
I must be patient, and await the glories of spring.
Spring 2012 - same spot
Each season is to be cherished.
Each sight, sound, smell, lauded for its beauty. The bursting of colour in spring is bracketed by the cold, white crystals of snow, and browns and blacks of the resting trees.
Hard to imagine
all the sleeping creatures!
Each snowflake, as it collects on the branch, only to fall with howling winds or melting sun, can be appreciated. It's getting a bit difficult for many, what with the massive dumps of snow in areas like Muskoka.
"As of January 28th - Muskoka has received 375.4 cm (148") of snow so far this winter. The region usually averages 333.9 cm."


A bit  of an issue with both cross-country skiers with dogs,
and sleds on the trail!
Here, in Perth, we've had 114 cm (about 45") between Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb., thus far!
The sledders booted it onto the trail.
Pedestrians had to step aside.
I have to go out and shovel some more from last night. It's been a great year for those who earn a living through tourism and winter activities.

This is a lovely walking/sled trail in Smiths Falls,
behind the highway.
I am afraid to use it, though.
I tried to find the name of it on the OFSC.ca webpage. It's part of 
Trunk Trail E
When I looked at older photos, I realized it's part of the Cataraqui Trail.

What's for lunch?


Cataraqui Trail/Trail E
Cataraqui Trail





It's so funny seeing sleds at the Swiss Chalet!
After their lunch, they headed back out.
Cataraqui Trail
I went for a wonderful snowshoe. On my walk, I looked at the bark on the tree.
Can you see it?! Let me turn it upside down for you!

Isn't that peculiar? The poor old Elm trees, dead from Dutch Elm disease. They do display lovely moss and lichen. They are homes for many critters, including the Ichneuman wasp (AKA stump stabber).

Yes, soon we will hear the spring peepers. Soon.
The photo is upside down.
On a walk, I thought I saw a
Great Horned Owl!
It was tree bark!

10 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree that it's important to cherish each season as we live in it. Good attitude!

Debbie said...

i thought i saw a squirrel, in the crack of the tree, i could see an eye as well. i am a wishful thinker!!

gorgeous winter scenes, the close-ups of the snow flakes are exceptionally beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Love those snowflake shots.

Anonymous said...

That tree bark does look like an owl... I can see how you thought so.

Sometimes I miss seasons, but I'd be definitely ready for winter to be over if I were you. It really is great that you can snow shoe in it though -- so you can get out.

Red said...

I like your description of seasons and how they move slowly and change. We are fortunate here to have four distinct seasons.

Little Wandering Wren said...

Pretty glorious winter scenery but hope the glories of spring come soon for you. I would have believed you it was an owl!
Wrenx

Linda said...

Lovely captures. Greetings from Montreal.

Powell River Books said...

Cold temps have frozen many of our lakes, making lots of opportunities for winter fun. We did get one day of snow out of it, but it didn't last at the lower elevations. - Margy

eileeninmd said...

Pretty winter scenes. I love the snowflakes! Have a happy day!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
...owl - or bark cat??!! Well spotted whichever way you look at it. A delightful post giving the feeling of rambling along those trails.

As I type this am watching the ladies curling, GB v Canada!! Super stuff. Greetings from we to thee. YAM xx