Friday 14 February 2014

Paint Party Friday: The Day the Crayons Quit


The Day the Crayons Quit

I love picture books. I would read picture books to my
Nothing better than crayons!
Can you read the names?!
students all the time, even my grade eight's. Often, when beginning a new unit of study, I would find an interesting book and it would provoke thematic-related conversation to tap prior knowledge.

This is a fun book I bought for my granddaughters! Each crayon writes to its owner. One complains that it's never used. The owner is a boy and doesn't use the pink one! It's sexist, in that respect. I teach my kids that you pink isn't just for girls, and you need not use the 'right' colour. We draw a lot.
Grass isn't always green. And we need not colour inside the lines, as much as the book author suggests. We can't let kids feel pressure like that.

 Clever Amazon, to match books I've already bought to 'suggestions' for me. Unfortunately, I didn't see or read the book before I bought it online. That's OK, as even a book that doesn't match your family values, it does provide an opportunity for discussion.

We do a lot of story writing: I bought a great book, spiral-bound, with a space at the top for a drawing, and lines on the bottom of the page for the story. (See the scanned rainbow/girl drawing!)  It's the best way for kids to match their expressive language to written language. After you write the story down, they are able to 'read' it. It's something we do in kindergarten.

Gorgeous red hair, inherited
from her late grampa!
Right in the middle of her grampa's funeral, Isabelle wanted to tell me a story! I suggested we needed to be quiet. Isabelle and I drew some pictures during her grandfather's funeral.

She did well to last as long as she did, being age 3.
One of Josephine's stories!
(She's in Gr. 1 now!)
We did a selfie, whilst waiting for the Celebration of LIfe to begin. She seemed clingy, and stuck to me like glue. It was good feeling needed.

Eventually I drew her a cat, which she coloured. I'd brought a drawing pad and coloured pencils.
Summertime on the back deck.
Drawing dinosaurs!



I have met some wonderful blogger artists. They have inspired me to draw. I send them to my grandkids for their refrigerators, sometimes before I colour them with pencils. Sometimes, we do them together.
Paint Party Friday

14 comments:

Olga said...

Coloring is a very relaxing activity, even for grown-ups.

eileeninmd said...

I use to love coloring, so much fun! Have a great weekend and Happy Valentine's Day!

Kay L. Davies said...

Isabelle is three? Wow, time flies.
Drawing during the funeral is a good way to keep a three-year-old quiet. And I can understand her being clingy with one grandparent after another has died. "Don't go, please."
I love your crayon named macaroni and cheese!
I can see why you'd buy "The Day the Crayons Quit" because of the title, and if it proved to be a lesson in what not to do or think, well, that's okay, too.
Love and hugs,
K

Linda Kunsman said...

sweet drawings, and I love how you encourage and inspire the little ones too. Happy PPF!

Unknown said...

such a sweet post. Thanks for sharing! I love to draw with my (and others') kids as well - it's a special relation that develops while doing this, I think.
Happy PPF!
Jana

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

You are having so much fun being a grandmother ... and unleashing even more of your creative side in the process. A real win-win! Does my heart good.

Debbie said...

you gave those kiddos great tips about crayons, colors and coloring!!

boys look awesome in pink and purple!!

happy <3 day!!

Giggles said...

What a good teacher and mother you are! Gorgeous little face on your daughters! Sweet artwork!

Hugs Giggles

Red said...

Good to see that you had a good handle on the visual aspect of learning. I struggled with that one when I taught.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
(a comment already written has been "G"obbled..try again)

It is drawing ever closer to the time when I can open boxes and get to know all my things again - including all the arts stuffs!! Working with colour is one of the heart joys of life...and macaroni cheese is going to have to be added to my pallette!! YAM xx

bellefrogworks said...

Drawing and coloring is wonderful "together" time - even when you are far away. Love the crayons drawing!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I'm sure they love that you color and draw with them!

Annabelle said...

Your a good teacher and grand mom. Enjoy the precious special moments, that's what it's all about.


Annabelle : )

Victoria said...

Such a super beautiful post...magical..touching and full of soulfulness !
Victoria