Wednesday 12 February 2014

Daisy cat took me walkies on the frozen wetland

Yes, she followed me into the forest, at first. Not unusual, except the snow is awfully cold on little cat paws. Down the hill we went.

Jesse and Stacie have been with us for a couple of nights. We flew him into town for his father's funeral. They are to be married this spring.  Just before they left, Stacie to fly back to B.C., and Jesse back into Ottawa to see his sister, we had some fabulous news. Hubby's pathology results are in. The surgeon phoned to let us know there the cancer cells had not spread, and he got it all out. I giant weight has been lifted, as it would have been 5 days/week for 5 weeks of radiation therapy, in the city. I knew I could handle whatever life threw at us, but I dreaded the logistics with four cats, no cat sitter, the 85km drive into the city.

Anyway, the kids left, after doing a few chores for me. I went outside to shovel the driveway off, just for a bit of gentle exercise. Dorah supervised from the top of the cedar fence, with dry toes. The sun shone, and warmed the cockles... The birds were flitting about, teasing Dorah from atop her fence.

Daisy, my little dog-like shadow, was indoors sleeping. Thirsty, after my moderate amount of work, I went in for some water, and Daisy came outside. Dorah is my fair-weather cat and went inside.

Fancying a walk, down I went. The house is up top in the video, and Daisy is following me down the hill to Bambi's meadow. She had to stop for a wee pee, though. The deer just squat along the trail, too.
Sometimes, in the house, if Daisy comes across some Sadie throw-up (Sade has both food allergies and emotional problems) Daisy will try to cover it up on the floor or carpet where Sadie left her mark.


Daisy and I take a wetland walk from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
I didn't need snowshoes, as the track I'd made previously had been worn down by many deer. The paths are pretty deep, and we followed the deer trail.

The setting sun, shining on the forest behind the wetland, has a lovely warmth to it. This is the difference between January and February.
Daisy following the deer path
through the wetland

Wetland in summer!
I look forward to the wetland bracken
of spring and summer!
Daisy took the lead, across the cold frigid snow. Usually, they tell hubby where they shoudl walk, but she normally only follows me. Off she went across the forest, aiming for the wetland. She was definitely in the lead. I wondered how long she would last. She is a trooper, and I was worried she was going to get too cold.


Daisy and I wetland walk 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
She decided to take me across the wetland. Fortunately, it was frozen and covered in now. She was following the deer trail.

There were many coyote marks. One had ambled down the driveway, according to his tracks, put his mark on my Christmas planter, then had gone down to the highway and come back. He follows the deer trails, too. He marked along the path we were following. I called Daisy over to smell it, as well as his scat. It's good for her to know what else is in her forest. She was suitable awed.

Abruptly, Daisy cat turned around and came back, shaking paws furiously, trying to shake off the cold. back into the forest, I couldn't find her. I looked behind me, in front, did a full circle and still couldn't see her.

Finally, I thought to look up and there she was, happily up the tree, warmed by the February sun.
By this time, I thought she'd had enough, stubborn little coot. I picked her up, which pissed her off, and carried her back across the wetland, up the hill, to grandmother's house we go. She shook in fear for a bit, not realizing I was carrying her back home. It was a good workout, sans snowshoes, carrying my buddy, back home.


Daisy and I wetland; tree climbing from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

5 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Those videos are so cute, and loved the photos. Thanks Jen! Daisy is a very smart and clever cat :)

Ela said...

Lovely couple of white cats
Greetings

eileeninmd said...

Cute photos and videos! Daisy is adorable!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Firstly - hoooorrraaaayyyy - so glad for hubby and you!!

2ndly - does Daisy LOVE the snow or what? A true wilderness cat. I laughed out loud at her flying leap onto the far trunk.

Blessings, YAM xx

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, what fun, Jenn. Daisy makes me laugh, although I did wonder what she'd think if you tried to carry her, and then you did! Pissed off, was she? I'm not surprised. She's an independent young lady.
I'm so pleased you got the pathology results at last and the news is good. Such a relief for you. 85 miles is a long way.
If I weren't so far away, I'd volunteer to cat-sit, and Lindy could help me. She could lie down, and the cats could cuddle up to her to keep warm. :)
Luv, K