Friday 3 January 2014

I'm on the wagon: food and drink!

The chip wagon!
<= Not this one!
More like this one!









This is one of the most effective ways of controlling your weight. Watching your food and drink. I don't want to bore those of you not worried about your weight. I do want to put it out into the universe that I have to cut back on treats! When I go out and do my difficult palliative work, it is easy to come home, put on a W movie and have popcorn (my comfort food). My late father would make us popcorn every Sunday night, just before we would watch Disney World.

 If you speak/write it, you have to be more accountable!

This is my plan 

One month on the wagon to kick start better, more conscientious eating. I've lost 1.9 kg (4 lb.) since Dec. 29. So far so good.
We were watching curling together!

Exercise

I'm exercising well, I always have kept this up. Jogging from the time I was in high school, as a retiree there is lots of time for this! We are religious about exercise. It helps the brain, mind, heart, as well as the body.

 Now, with it being hard on my knees and shins, as well as my tendonitis, we work out in the basement. The elliptical (30 min. =  455 cal.) is wonderful. Also, collecting kindling (150 cal. /15 min.), using an axe to clear away ice from the mailbox, snowshoeing, forest walkies, this uses up some of the caloric intake. It's all about intake and output!
It's all about changing your exercise to suit your age, physical condition, and stage, if you must. What bothers me is that activities of daily living (ADLs) don't seem to count. I worked, for 5 hours, with a paraplegic client yesterday. Today, as therapy, I shall bring in some firewood. Mind you, I brought in a couple loads of firewood two days ago and pulled a calf muscle on the icy snow. You have to be careful at this age!

Nutrition

meat/carbs/veggies
Having taught nutrition, I understand the concept. You get lazy, though, when stress strikes. Eating out, cutting corners, buying prepared foods.
This is good:
Balancing foods; dividing your plate up into 1/4 meat, 1/4 carbs, 1/2 veggies.

I have to cut back on cheese, which is such a fine snack. Sigh. Only so good because it is so full of fat!
The four food groups are important. You know, the four food groups:
fast food, fried food, junk food and chocolate()
Bet you can't eat just one!

A few years ago, when hubby was determined to lose weight, I suggested he write down everything he eats. He lost 30 lbs. He went to classes with a nutritionist, through the Family Health Team, and learned a lot.
I taught students to read labels.
This label is for cookies, and you must see how much EACH cookie has in terms of the various nutrients and caloric intake. It's shocking, really.
It's important to read labels.
They list them by quantity,
the highest first. 
Sometimes they fool you and simply state /100g, which may not be a logical portion. (Bet you can't eat just one!)

Now, I know some waste food, so the US researchers say, but the people I know are pretty frugal with food and portions. Lots of my students brought in leftovers for lunches!

I've begun using an on-line program, which automatically has the caloric count. Eventually, I'll get to know them off by heart. I know I just have to cut back on treats, my rewards for getting through the day.
Heaven knows we have some wonderful restaurants around here, and it is only too easy to go overboard there, especially when you cannot control your portions.

Even Ceasar Salad has its drawbacks!
Bagels, lox, and cream cheese. Yum.

5 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Portion control is our greatest downfall. We eat pretty well, no junk food ...just too much of the good stuff. Happy New Year!

eileeninmd said...

Good Luck on your food program..It seems to be the thing to do lately. Everyone is trying to be healthier. Have a happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

We have been watching our weight, food, and exercise since June ... I've lost 25 lbs and hubby 60lbs. We have been using an app called My Fitness Pal. We track what we eat, read labels, and check calorie count and haven't really felt like we have been on a diet. Good luck with your program.

Red said...

Good luck on your journey . You can do it and you know that it's worth it. Junk food? It should be banned.

Kay said...

Sigh... December has been a BAD month for me. I've gained 5 pounds! How can this be? Actually, I know how. It has been a terrible month of holiday treats and sweets! Sigh.... I need to get my will power back again.