Wednesday 22 January 2014

Freezing cold, but that doesn't stop some folks from enjoying the season

It looks like such a cold camper!
With outdoor temperatures of -30 this morning, it doesn't stop Canadians from enjoying winter. I feel badly for those in the Maritimes, with 30 cm expected, again! As I wrote on Twitter, they are tough in the Maritimes, and won't whine, but just clean up the snow and get on with it!
This afternoon, I saw a lot of people out ice fishing in Ontario! What a delight, to get out and enjoy the beautiful day. This afternoon, the sun shone, and the thermometer rose to -17 C., and there were many people out enjoying the opportunity to fish. Not that I went out there on the lake. It was bitterly cold! My leather gloves were less than enough.


Ice fishing on the Rideau from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Red said...


There should be a law against fishing shacks as they are incredibly ugly...a total eyesore on the lake.
When I was a little kid we fished all day out in the open.

eileeninmd said...

I am amazed how well people are able to tolerate the cold. I fell like I want to hibernate and come out when it is warm again.. The ice fishing people are brave too. Neat photos.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Each of the elements of your posting today is thought provoking, Jenn. It is true there is no such thing as a truly independent view. In the end we are forced to take a stance... or go fishing...

YAM xx

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

My Idaho relatives really like the cold weather for cross country skiing and snowmobiling. Not me!!!

Little Wandering Wren said...

Boy that is cold! I enjoyed viewing your Vimeo and have never lived anywhere so cold so it was fascinating.
This led me onto another Vimeo of yours the cat watching the Aussie Open Tennis - adorable.
I think you should sign the cat up as an official member of the Genie Army, your Eugenie Bouchard has had a great tournament Down Under!
Wren x