Monday 5 August 2013

Geraldine moves fast for a fat amphibian!

Good old Geraldine.
 I found a grasshopper, ants were attacking it, it wasn't dead. I thought that it would be better to give failing grasshopper to Geraldine, rather than let the ants rip it apart.

Some are bright green
I put said Grasshopper on a leaf pad. Geraldine had her eye on it.

She sat there, looking at me.
I set the camera to videotape. I waited. My attention diverted, I missed it!

They look prehistoric
I was too slow.

I tried again. This time, I didn't blink. For an apparently large bullfrog, she moves pretty well!

I videotaped her twice. The dang cats have been going after the grasshoppers.
I figured that it was good that the grasshopper, at least, could be sacrificed to photography.

According to Canadian Geographic:

Grasshoppers have amazing wings
There are 18,000 kinds of grasshoppers in the world. Their life expectancy is 4 months!

There are two main groups of grasshoppers: long-horned and short-horned, determined by the length of antennae. The two-striped grasshopper, a short-horned grasshopper, is recognized by the stripes on its back, the colours varying due to location and maturity.

Their wings are like soft paper. Poor thing had lost a hind leg and couldn't move about much.
They are ubiquitous in my garden. The cats like to supplement their cat food with them.

Geraldine frog has lunch from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Since the ants were attacking this large grasshopper, I decided to donate the thing to Geraldine bullfrog for lunch. I threw it onto a large lily pad. Geraldine did her thing.

I also collect the Lily bugs from my lillies. I put them in the pond. The goldfish think them a grand treat.


Goldfish and lily bugs from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
The Lily bugs destroy my lily plants. I use Neem oil on them, but the best thing is to capture them in a jar and feed them to the goldfish.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Neat videos Jenn!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Jenn, trust you to feed grasshoppers to the frog. I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing if I still had a pond, but my pond didn't have a frog, just fish. If I had known which bugs to collect for my fish, I might have done that.
I don't remember seeing grasshoppers when I lived at the coast, but when I moved with my two cats to a very small town in the dry part of the BC interior, there were plenty. I still laugh when I think about my cat Herman discovering grasshoppers. They would hop, and he would hop after them. I would be in hysterics, and Hermie would keep hopping. He was the best cat ever, and I still miss him, but I can always laugh when I think of grasshoppers.
K

Kay said...

That was pretty darn neat, but it sure took a while for Geraldine to get moving. :-)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Fantastic filming! I have fallen in love with Geraldine - that twitching reminded me of a cat on the prowl - maybe she's been taking lessons &*>

I have some Aussie critters 'on view' this week for my 'Less Speak, More Peek' day.

YAM xx