Sunday 28 July 2013

Catfish by the shoreline

In the 'good old days' days water snakes were common. As were all of the other critters that depend upon the shoreline for habitat. With giant boat waves, common on Ontario lakes, and folks getting rid of the lake weed, prime habitat for the yearlings, habitat loss is a huge issue for fauna.

One of my favourite memories as a child, summering in Muskoka in the 60s, was of the huge catfish. The parent would take the babies in its mouth if I scared them.

Hubby and I went for a Daycation trip. At the lake shore I spotted a school.
I love watching the wee critters. They stay together in their school! I little black cloud moving as if with one mind. Staying in a group for safety, they all move into the sun, and move back into the weeds.
 
Catfish babies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.
Swimming around the shoreline, they stick together for safety! Hubby sneezed and they took off back into the safety of the flora.  Camera Critters #277

4 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, goodness, he sneezed! That made me laugh, because you were being so careful not to frighten the baby fish, but nobody can stop a sneeze once it has a mind to come out.
I was raised on fish stories but none of them ever involved catfish. I know I would have remembered about the mother taking the little ones into her mouth for safety. Nature is fascinating!
K

Jenn Jilks said...

I know, Kay. The poor man. We're headed into hay fever season. He so loves animals!

Red said...

I love watching fish in the water. For a prairie kid far away from lakes I didn't see much.

Huldra said...

So cool black watercloud :D