Thursday 16 May 2013

Birds galore and tadpoles!

We headed off to the frog pond for walkies yesterday. We'd had a big rain, and then the sun came out.
I knew a walk was in order.
Teeny spring peeper tadpoles

 A male mallard was swimming about. He did not fly off.

 The swimming tadpoles were a bit trickier to photograph!
Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris)
poisonous - grows in the wetland

There were two hanging out together.
The camouflage is amazing.

Daisy didn't want to go home!

This is a fun story!

Mrs. Grosbeak was on the Catulpa tree branch.

I tried to focus the camera on Mr. Grosbeak, in the tree, when suddenly he swooped down and landed beside her.  She had spotted him up in the trees, raised her wee bottom as he approached. Then assumed the position. I was giggling so much, I missed the actual encounter! Happy couple in the spring air!

Next to come to the feeder was the woodpecker. I love how it holds on with its tail!


The blue jays were raucous on the backyard feeder.

Grackles as busy
The Horse Chestnut
still hasn't unfolded after the frost.
The flower buds seem OK.
Mid-day thunderstorm and sun shower!



6 comments:

Christine said...

nice to see an indigo bunting, didn't know that one. Lovely photos.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...


Fabulous walk! (It's hard this time of year not to be a voyeur when observing nature ;>)!.......

We were spending a winter in Texas when I saw my first indigo buntings...woke up to our "yard" (grassy field behind our RV Space) just full of them. I was ecstatic!

eileeninmd said...

Great birds for sure! I love the grosbeaks and the pretty bunting!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love it when you take us on your walks.

Red said...

All kinds of fun goes on in the spring. Last week a couple of jack rabbits did an enthusiastic performance in my neighbor's yard across the street.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely walk. Your bird shots are delightful.