Saturday 4 May 2013

Small plane crashes - do you really want to fly?

It is a scary thing. I reported a local man, in a toy helicopter, who kept
buzzing the neighbourhood, frightening our animals, as well as the rest of us. He landed at the local general store, in the small parking lot. No flight plan, methinks. It was frightening for those of us parked there.

I've had someone commenting on my YouTube video where the pilot continually goes up and down, and skims over head. He would take his grandkids up, meaning no canoeing that day for me!

Having lived in Muskoka where many have had horrible incidents, I would never go in a small plane again. I did it once, in the mid-90s, in the Adirondacks. When I look back, I wonder what I was thinking. I didn't know the professional pilot, it was a spur-of-the-moment thing.

The statistics are clear: most are due to pilot error. This is why they are incidents and not 'accidents.' Canadian Aviation statistics are here.

But to summarize... in 2010 there were 250 incidents, 31 fatal incidents and 64 fatalities. One, near our old home in Muskoka, took down a 71-year-old man and his girlfriend. They burned in the trees. Firefighters had a tough time getting to the scene.


7 comments:

Linda Hoye said...

My hubby sometimes talks about wishing he would have gotten his private pilots license. Truthfully, I, happy he didn't for the very reasons you've posted here.

Kay L. Davies said...

When I was a teenager, my first flight ever was in a float plane, so I wanted to learn how to fly a small plane myself. Fortunately for me, there was a rule at the time that people wearing glasses couldn't become pilots.
K

Red said...

Since I was a private pilot I have to defend myself here. We can look at disasters and think,"That's all there is!" But it's not. The safety rates for flying are far better than flying. You should first say , "Would I ever ride in a car again.?
There are idiots out there in the flying world but the aviation industry has a very high standard when it comes to safety. Report the idiot and his helicopter.

Jenn Jilks said...

All I'm saying, Red, is to make sure you know with whom you fly. For example, check out a company before you fly with them.
Neighbours, in Muskoka, endlessly took their grandkids up and down, up and down We couldn't canoe without fearing for our safety. And they would buzz the house.
I DID report the helicopter, as he didn't appear to have a flight plan, randomly going to the general store. I had an excellent interview with an OPP officer. He seems to have stopped his stupidity!

Unknown said...

Interesting post Jennifer. Have you read "Into the Abyss" by Carol Shaban? It too is on this topic. It's Canadian and a fascinating read.
Barb Guthrie

Jenn Jilks said...

I haven't Barb. I should!

Kay said...

I've seen some reports in the U.S. of deadly small plane crashes also. It's tragic and scary.