Tuesday 15 May 2012

Mother's Day is overrated, at my age

Yes, it's fun for the young kids. They can bring mommy breakfast in bed. They make delightful crafts at school and day care. But many of the people my age, that I know, are disappointed.

I had no expectations, since I knew Caitlin was the star at her house. My boys both busy; one in Vancouver, both men with significant others and significant lives.

In the old days, when I was a single parent, my separation agreement stated that mom would have kids for a portion of the day. In hindsight, it would have been nicer to have the day off!
Thing is, you end up doing dishes, making meals, if you haven't the funds to order in meals or take the kids out and the kids are young.

It is a hard day for those without children, mothers who have lost children, stepmothers, or those who have lost their mothers.

Of course, all mothers LOVE kitchen equipment!

Personally, I had simple expectations, and great hopes. I hoped that two of my three kids would phone. Turns out, all three phoned, and I was quite happy.

My present from the pets:
Maggie Magnolia!
Funny thing is, both me and Hubby lost our mothers on Mother's Day weekends. Mine in 2006, his in 2000 before I met him. We see the crazy marketing that goes on. The pressure is ridiculous. The ad, above, sets back the women's movement back 40 years.

It is only a date on the calendar, to me. Being a grandmother, it's Mother's Day every day! I keep busy, and have lots of work to do. I cannot mope as I have much gratitude. The lilacs are blooming and I've made lemonade out of lemons.

I was quite surprised in the afternoon. The cats and the goldfish bought me a card. All of them had signed it. It had a verse in it. A very clever rhyming clue to where the present was that they had bought me!

Well,
Buster thought that a fresh rabbit would be a delight.
Felix though flowers a pretty sight.
Shirley and Calico voted for a dinner out tonight.
Buts Sadie, the elder, had heard you go on about this and was right.
So all agreed to the surprise not in sight.
So look in the car, at the back, to the right.

I had scoped out this magnolia, and thought it too dear, choosing a much less expensive dogwood and burning bush. Hubby came through.

Happy Mother's Day to all caregivers!

Petunias and snapdragons at the base
for compnay.

Pretty lilacs bloom behind Maggie Magnolia!

2 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely gift! I agree, everything has become so commercialized...I did have a lovely day with my 3 boys and their families in attendance. The boys cooked and I cleaned up...nothing different there. They made token protests, but no one got up to help, so I just did what I always have done!

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Sounds like you have a very sweet hubby! :-)