Monday 23 January 2012

Ya sing the blues so ya don't got the blues no more!

As T.J.Wheeler said to us, "Ya sang the blues so ya don't got the blues no more!"
I participated in the Blues in the Schools program, BITS, back in the day (2001). It was much fun.
There were 4 bands that visited our school. Then, the next week, one group of musicians worked with a select group of kids to produce a concert. We integrated art into the project. Students created murals for Bluesfest.
Me and T.J. – I was trying to teach a student how to take a photo!
The groups included Suzie Vinnick and Tony D!

Tony D and Suzie Vinnick – BITS -my photo from 2001

I last saw Suzie Vinnick at the Westport has the Blues event!

Maple Blues Awards
Maple Blues Awards

Great reading about their awards:
MonkeyJunk a triple threat at Maple Blues awards

Ottawa band wins prizes for best electric act, recording and drummer

January 17, 2012

ELECTRIC ACT OF THE YEAR
MonkeyJunk: Tony D, Steve Marriner and Matt Sobb

RECORDING OF THE YEAR
To BeholdMonkeyJunk

FEMALE VOCALIST OF THE YEAR
Suzie Vinnick

SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR
Suzie Vinnick

5 comments:

Linda said...

Nice collection of photos.

Christine said...

lovely memories Jenn.

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, fabulous, Jenn.
One of my earliest memories is of my father playing "Basin Street Blues" for me on a wind-up record-player. Years later, he and my brother played trumpet together, and I always asked for Basin Street Blues.
Love your photos, and I especially like:
"The blues had a baby and
they called it rock and roll!"
K

DUTA said...

It's nice to get back in time and look for sweet memories.

Beautiful top picture!
I've enjoyed watching the video - good singing voices in the background, interesting audience photos!

Red said...

Great post on how to use music with kids to teach something else...perform concerts...art work. The marks of a very good teacher.
I hope you listen to Saturday night blues on CBC with Holger Peterson