Wednesday 6 October 2010

Country chick goes to the city

I grew up in inner city Toronto. On Walker Ave, at Summerhill & Yonge Streets.

We spent summers in Muskoka from 1960 - 2006, and lived there from 2006 - 2010.

Moving to an acreage in Perth, Ontario, (near to Ottawa where I lived 25 years) has changed my life. I'd forgotten about chokes and clutches, on the riding tractor. (Purchased from the previous house-owners who went to England to care for ailing parents - how ironic!).

Joe, my husband, grew up on a farm in Chesterville, a mere 50 km east of our new home! He coached me on the delights of getting the choke just right and starting the machine.


Now, in Perth, a big trip to the city means picking up things unavailable out here (tropical fish), visiting friends, buying new shoes, and visiting with the grandchildren. I'd forgotten about local busses (Muskoka does not have such), public parking, joggers, and local pubs where 'everyone knows your name!'


I've missed my subscriptions to GCTC, a local theatre, as well as dinners in Little Italy. I was a student teacher (1982) in Little Italy's Devonshire P. S.,  now celebrating its 100th anniversary!


Lunch at the pub on a fine day!

25¢/ 5 min. to visit an ill friend!
Cars/Busses everywhere

But one of the other reasons for the trip was to buy Shirley, a Bubble Eye Goldfish, some new friends.

Shirley has had two friends, now swimming in that goldfish pond in the sky. She used to live outdoors in the pond I created in 2005. Then moved to Muskoka, and now Perth. One was eaten by a 'coon in Bala, the other passed away just before we moved.

I have to figure out names for the two new ones, of the Shubunkin species. One is black and orange, the other silver and orange, the breed tends to be of calico colours. They seem unfazed by Shirley's size. As you can see by 5-year-old Shirley's size, they can grow quite large. I shall have to build another goldfish pond!

Any suggestions for names?!

4 comments:

Megan said...

I bought a camp in Maine, where I grew up, last spring. It has totally changed my life even though I still live in Yellowknife. I see my camp as my real home. Everything is different now. I can't wait for my next long break from work so I can go back there.

Travis Erwin said...

Our grass is never that green. not even in the spring before it gets hot.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I grew up so far out in the sticks on National Forests in the southwest USA. I always knew that I was a city guy, and I was right. I like visiting the country but I love living in suburbia.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love your new spot! Our daughter and sil have an acreage and she is a demon on her riding mower! Looks like you'll soon rival her talents!

I have no goldfish names, but that is quite the fish!