Sunday 11 July 2010

Life in Muskoka

Summertime, and the livin's easy. This island is just waiting for another adventure. A boat in its coat.







A driver in a hurry, we usually pull over if they are trying to peer into our back seat. Life is too short to take risks.

Can you see it? It err... 'ducked' when it saw me. This clever snapper thought if it hid it's face beneath some pond algae...I wouldn't see it.



It was in our frog pond, with many blood suckers attached to its shell. Not a pretty sight. I remember, back in the 60s, we would keep a container of salt by the lake just in case a sucker attached itself to us. They are much fewer these years. I've seen only one or two a year.

6 comments:

Deb said...

Oh, gosh you brought back a memory of bloodsuckers! We too kept the salt shaker down at the waters edge. Those nasty things used to grab my ankles and they hurt! Thankfully, we haven't seen one since the late 60's.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Not everybody I read can make me go oooh and ughhh in the same post!Nice walking with you as always.

I wish I'd seen your comment "boat in its coat" before I posted a similar picture recently. I'd have stolen your line in a heartbeat ;>) (not really -- I'd just have wished I'd thought of it first -- as I still do!)

Jenn Jilks said...

I know - those blood suckers bring back memories. Sorry!

W.C.Camp said...

Don't like snapping turtles at all so let the leaches eat them! Pretty pond shots though. W.C.C.

Jenn Jilks said...

I think snappers are vastly interesting, ancient critters @W.C.! Cycle of life and all that habitat!

EG CameraGirl said...

A snapper tried to cross our busy highway last weekend. I wish they knew cars were deadly!