Thursday 18 February 2010

Another walk in the great Muskoka forests

--on the wild side! I took a walk in the forest again. A different part, this time.
You might say that I am inspired by the wonderful young men and women skating, curling, and launching their bodies down and up hills.

What truly inspired, are the women, though.
I remember teaching Gr. 6 and my student, 11 years old, playing goalie. I found the card the other day.

In those days it was new for the girls to be so active. I'm not sure that the young women get this, how hard we worked to make it normal to be playing sports.


Many, many young women now play in organized sports on this continent. The hockey scores tell us so.

In the 1920s and 30s, Canadian men beat other teams in the Olympics with scores of 30- 5.

Thanks to the parents who drove these kids to endless practices and games, they get out on the ice and have a good time.


For that reason, I have to get out on my snowshoes, and go for a long walk.


That is our place across the frozen lake. Much slush, one has to be careful!

You can see the sky from a few places in the forest. The trees part, perhaps a bog, or a spot where the Precambrian shield granite has been swept by the glacial action, letting the light shine through.
See the fallen trees. We had an amazing hurricane awhile back. The trees have fallen all around the region.

I was in awe at the size of the beech trees. Yes, I need a new pair of mitts!
See the light? And the fungus on the tree. I kept walking, and spotted a Valentine in the snow!
 
Can you see it? I know it is likely a hare, left front and right front paws placed, then the big back feet, but it made me think of a ♥.

3 comments:

Lorac said...

Aren't winter walks lovely? It really makes a great day. Thanks for sharing your walk.

Gill - That British Woman said...

great photos, thanks for identifying the footprint, we have the same ones in our property.

Gill

Pat said...

What a beautiful place you live in!

I loved the little rabbit heart footprint.

Women really have come a long way in sports.