Friday 13 November 2009

a mystery on the lake

A lovely day for a canoe.


Many, many birds about. These caught my eye, and I caught them with varying degrees of success.

skywatch


On the top of the water, the reflections show a clear, cold day.

Now, what lurks beneath the waves? On a peaceful canoe around the quiet lake, no hunters on this day. I heard a splash.

UPDATE:
I visited Cottage Chronicles, having been graced with a comment from this blogger, and found a wonderful video of loons calling.
Be sure to visit (after you check out my photos!)



I followed the track of the air bubbles. Madly focusing manually.


Getting closer...




Ahhh, zoom in...


Then, I totally missed the splash.

I was so enthralled.

Mind you, it is like frantically capturing that exciting moment, your child's JK graduation, or some important event, and missing the emotion and the experience of the event itself in the dash for the camera, to focus, to push the right buttons.

I simply sat back, and enjoyed the scene.
Not sorry at all.

19 comments:

LV said...

I loved taking the tour of all the beautiful scenes. They are lovely and you did very well on your presentation.

RobDares said...

Hi Jennifer
I wonder if that is the same beaver who is cutting down all my aspen trees? I am glad he has found a new home on your lake. I guess my chicken wire fence worked! Great pictures.
Rob
www.thecottagechronicles.com

Gaelyn said...

Looks like a lovely day to be on the lake. Is that an otter? Beautiful captures Jenn.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what beautiful photos, makes you glad to live where you do.

Gill

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Beautiful captures both in the sky and on the water. I loved your beaver photo.

Cloudia said...

*Clap Clap*


Aloha, Friend!


Comfort Spiral

Lorac said...

Great pics and write up!

Dirkjogt said...

Who wouldn't enjoy such a great scene! Nice captures, thanks for sharing. About Remembrance Day, this is celebrated in Belgium where at some places after WWI not a tree or house was standing after many years of fighting. A lot of young men out of many countries have died here. We may never forget this.

Carolyn said...

Jenn, these are such beautiful photos and the colours are so rich. Thanks for sharing you paddle on the lake with us.
Smiles

Mary said...

A lot happening around your lake! Love the waxwing and the water shots and your "critter".

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Where the beaver swim,
there I lurk from dawn to dusk,
hoping for a glimpse…

My Sky

Joe Todd said...

Great shots and I'm glad you are doing better

Powell River Books said...

What a great capture. We have beaver in the area. I've seen their dams and ponds, but never a live one. Probably not enough patience when we are out exploring the bush. - Margy

George said...

These are wonderful pictures of sky and water. What a wonderful day to be out on the lake.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful post and photos. Happy skywatch !

Arija said...

Jennifer, is there anything better than sneaking up on wildlife in a silent canoe? The tranquility and beauty in your shots is absolutely amazing.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great photographs. I liked the plump bird in the trees best.

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely shots, all of them. You're right though, sometimes we just need to enjoy the scenery and forget the camera...

Jenn Jilks said...

I have almost managed to visit everyone who commented. Whew! We are a fun group, with photos and commentary an many diverse places in this world. What a blast!