Saturday 7 November 2009

H1N1 - Media Frenzy



I have been watching media reports of this topic, I wrote: H1N1 - fearmongering and false informationI cannot believe the websites out there.
I was searching for the truth on my part. Now, rather than dropping coverage, we have to tolerate more news of the newsmakers, who are accusing each other of covering this issue too much.


They interview reporters, and ask their opinions on media coverage. But, CBC's The National, had another angle. The DID interview a reporter, broadcast it for their panel of two experts, and asked their opinion of the journalist's interview. 


The perspective they demand: 
About 200,000 people die in Canada every year from all causes combined, including about 4,000 from seasonal flu.
"By the time all the dust has settled on H1N1, somewhere between 200 and 300 people will have died in this country," Schabas said Thursday during a panel on media coverage of H1N1 on CBC-TV'sThe National. (Dr. Richard Schabas, chief medical officer of health in eastern Ontario)

4 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

I think the media have a lot to answer for on all issues Jenn - if there is any kind of "crisis" they whip everyone up into a frenzy - and then let it die down when it is no longer newsworthy. Sometimes I wish to could avoid news bulletins and newspapers - but we do need to know what is happening in the world. We just meed to remember to take all this hype with a pinch of salt as we say in the UK.

SandyCarlson said...

We sure are being driven out of our minds with this stuff. Those numbers are interesting.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I too agree with The Weaver of Grass, blaming the media for a lot of the issues. Goodness knows when we'll be able to get the shot. Saying that I am not sure if we'll get it yet.

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, I really appreciate it. As a thank you I am posting a link back to your blog on my Monday post.

Gill

By the way I couldn't get into your "My Muskoka" blog for some reason?

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks, Gill! I was just changing My Muskoka's blog header. I think that was the deal.

I have Hospice clients, and I'm working with kids in a Bereavement group, and feel obliged to get the shot when I can. I am not high priority, but it would pain me to think I passed it on. One is contagious, and most flu bugs are H1N1 right now. I'd rather know I had developed my own immunity. I think I will survive it, but not sure my clients!

cheerio