Saturday 10 October 2009

Thanksgiving

We have noticed that many retirees, like us, were out shopping Friday. Hubby received a compliment for solo shopping. I am grateful for a hubby who shops. He explained he did it all the time. His fan suggested that her hubby might screw it up. She felt that men in her age group were not in the habit. Au contraire! My father did theirs, once mom retired. It is a whole new world.

We are grateful The stores are lovely. The oranges and browns of the season decorate many stores. The cut flowers are beautifully chosen; the mums are everywhere.

We are grateful
to the florists who brighten our spaces. Hubby brought me home a delicious bunch.
The roads, on the way to shopping while wet, are lined with my soldiers and First Nations ghosts. It is a feast for the eyes. The beauty is only marred by the complainers. Now, I have complained about them on my rants blog, but it seems rather bizarre. Here we are, retired in cottage country. They are in the stores complaining about the rain. It is Friday.

Most in Muskoka anticipate children and grandchildren for the occasion. They shop Friday, to stay out of the stores on the w/e when it is busier. But grumpy grandfolks are preparing for delightful company with all the traditions of Canadians. Circle one: Too wet, too buggy, too dry, too snowy, too cold, too hot. Holy liftin snappers. When told, "What a terrible day", I always disagree. It is a glorious day, for which we are grateful.

Be grateful you are together. We seldom see family in the cold weather, our weather is too unpredictable for the 450 km between cities. We are grateful for Skype. We are grateful to have to have seen our friends on our whirlwind October Ottawa visit. Most here have dear friends of many years in Muskoka. Snowbirds, those with the big bucks, remain here for their obligatory 153 per year to keep their OHIP - health care. We choose to live here permanently. The snowbirds can have their sun. We are grateful for the rain, snow, sleet and hail. You appreciate each one differently. Shovelling is good exercise, when you need not make it out of the driveway for work.

The Raft
As an update, the raft is further along the lake into the lagoon behind the island. I know we are expecting snow next week, and I hope the family comes to retrieve the raft.= this weekend! It is being wind blown SE and SW with various storm fronts. Like a sail boat, it is floating slowly off into the distance. The storm clouds are gorgeous with the contrast. Ain't nature grand?!

5 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jenn: Fun post, I think the raft is gone for the Winter in the cove, I hope it makes it unharmed.

Gaelyn said...

Some people just don't know how to be grateful for life.

Love your new header and all the other beautiful fall photos.

I'm grateful to have met you.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'll watch the raft today. Hopefully with the sunny day, fishing guy, they'll be up to put the boat away. You'd think their neighbours would help out, but the city folk are a little different.

I am grateful to meet you, too, Gaelyn. Your travels in the US parks are marvellous, and the photos incredible to me, a virtual traveller.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great pictures. I love your header photo.

Jain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.