Saturday 12 September 2009

Calling bloggers over age 50

My late mother (1925 - 2006), I did so admire her, learned to use a computer at age 55, to process the Toronto Rotary Club's weekly newsletter. She had worked there for 35 years, or so. She had never touched a computer before. She had only used an electric typewriter.

I have many memories of sitting down with her, handing over my laptop as she scrolled through my photo albums, sharing digital photos of the places we had been to, to allow her to travel vicariously.

I learned my computer skills for work in 1989. Doing classroom newsletters, I added to my skill set in order to teach it to my students. I found, through my work at uOttawa at the Faculty of Education in 2005, that many professors have not successfully integrated technology into their curriculum. Not to say they do not use it, but they have not bridged the gap from dispensing URLs like holy water, to fully understanding how we balance computers, digital tools, and curriculum with classroom management and the practical aspects of the process. From this point of view, tech-savvy young adults do not understand the wild waves my generation rides on our journey through this world.

Having just finished a Skype chat with kids and granddaughter, I would like to dispel the myths. I am looking for middle-aged, senior, grandparents, retired and tech-savvy people with life experiences, e.g., those over age 50.

I find that technology and ageism seem to go hand-in-hand in this day and age. I have complained to the CBC about an ad for a tech show that totally denigrates people of my age who learned computers in high school using those dear computer cards. (You know who you are!)

I know that many of us Skype with children and grandchildren.

I know many of us blog, chat with one another, and share our sorrows, joys, trials and tribulations of cancer, dementia, surgery, ill adult children and find strength in one another through photos, fine quotes, and simple positive message of endearments, spirituality, love and joy.

If you know a person over 50 who blogs, could you either send me their URL, or have them contact me? I want to create a master list. I want to do a Shout Out. If you want your blog included, I will do so.

I am determined to write a blog post about this issue!

So very many of us use digital camera, videocams, the Internet, Skype and other platforms in an integrative, creative, professional manner. Unlike my generation, our parents seldom learned computers. We adapted, changed and integrated them as far as our abilities allowed. I have many photos of my students as they worked busily away, while I managed the rest of the class.

Above is the computer equipment I learned to use with my students. Many of us learned to adapt in our work lives. Some do not understand that the more you learn, the easier it is to learn new things. The brain uses these neural pathways for new learning once the old is assimilated into normal practices. Once you retire, it is important to keep learning, and many of my blogger buddies have done so.

I am proud of our generation!

Let us celebrate.

6 comments:

Friko said...

Yes, I am over 50, I blog (having learnt computer skills (what skills?) after 50. I love blogging, I love that I have had some modest success at it.

Have you tried Time Goes By? Ronni Bennett's site for Elderbloggers. It's a very interesting site.

Good luck with your endeavours and come and visit me too.

Gail said...

Hi

Well, I am "answering your call" for bloggers over 50!! :-) I asaw you over at the Riverbank at rizz's place.

my site is http://knowyourits.blogspot.com

i am in the process if being out of work on 100% disability - so I will be retiring earlier than expected. I have been out of work since May of this year. And it doesn't look like I will be able to return. If you stop by my blog and read my 100th post it is a re-cap and hi-lites of what my blog is all about in a condensed version.

So let me know what you think
Thanks
Love Gail
peace.....

Jenn Jilks said...

Gail, you are added! Hooray for middle age!

The Weaver of Grass said...

I quite agree Jenn - we should take new skills on board, that is what keeps us going. To say that I am over 50 is an understatement - I shall not see 75 again either - but shall keep blogging.

mountain.mama said...

I'm not retired but I'm over 50 and I blog! I'd love to be on your list.

http://manyriverstocross.blogspot.com

Vagabonde said...

I am trying to get caught up with all the posts I missed during my vacation. You can certainly add my blog to those of people over 50, actually over 60 too!