Tuesday 21 July 2009

Watery Wednesday #45

watery wednesday

These days, every day is watery for me. My routine includes checking the waves, which tells me the kind of day it will be. For the second day in a row their was barely a ripple on the water. They have been perfect summer days, despite my traffic complaints (sorry!). I went for another canoe ride, no turtle!

Along my trip I spotted this.
Can you guess what it is?


This poor creature has been harassed all week by boaters who aim for it. I did not think I was such a threat, but off it floated into the air for safety.









A cormorant just taking off. I had seen it yesterday in a dead tree, perched far from the madding crowd.
I kept on moving.

The bird songs were echoing across the lagoon.

The forest was throwing their songs up to the universe.

The bugs dancing on the water getting the fish excited.


A loon popped up 5' from where I sat in a quiet meditation on the velvety liquid.

I was too slow with the camera, but you can picture it, can't you? It dove to escape me, dunno who was more surprised! I caught it when it had swum underwater quite a piece away.

The gentle breeze blew me along while I gazed in lagoonawe at nature's creation. It smelled green, moist and fresh. The wind danced amongst the leaves.

I made my way home to chores; scraping paint, loonsanding in preparation for painting the cottage, and brought in my laundry.

I thought I might post a video for contrast: the way the water looked in April, when Eddie (R.I.P.) was courting Eva and the ice was on the lake. They were joined by Anne & Gilbert, another pair of geese who always arrive later, getting the males 'all sexed up', as my late mother used to say! The men insisted the women stay away from each other. The ritual was a hoot.
I had fun with this, my son was in the musical company in PEI when the CD was taped.

10 comments:

Eve said...

What a busy place - so many creatures! The video was very fun to watch!

Jim said...

A tranquil lifestyle.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

me said...

ooh, a loon. I wish we had loons on our bit of water. The loons at dusk is one of the sounds I am hoping to hear one day

Gaelyn said...

The video is excellent! And so is the choice of music.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos & what a great video! I'd love to take a canoe trip across that lake & see them all for myself!

Fantastic post & have a beautiful WW!

Tammie Lee said...

you have captured lovely beauty.

mick said...

There nothing quite so nice as moving quietly on the water in a canoe - or kayak which is what I use. You can certainly get closer to birds when they don't see you as a threat.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I certainly didn't guess what it was! I thought it was a whale's tail!
BB

Arija said...

What a wonderful lot of water for a hot summer's day. Beautiful photos.

George said...

You have a wonderful lake on which to enjoy a summer day.