Wednesday 15 July 2009

Watery Wednesday #44


CLick on the badge for more WWs...
Limnology
noun: The study of bodies of fresh water, such as lakes and ponds.

BLue sky and clouds are reflected in the water.
Between the lily pads, the breeze pats the silvery surface of the water.

Mother Nature ruffles with her gentle touch; like a mother whose child scrapes her knee - it will get worse, but for now all is well. Big winds have threatened much of this continent. We must be careful.

The bullfrog hides in the comfort of an old tree trunk. Hunkering down, awaiting a meal, preferring not to become one!

The boat waves knock him silly. Wild water excoriates the lakeshore.



Underneath the water, the sunfish flit around like faeries, chasing potential predators from their nests. Their colours sparkle in the dappled sunlight. I cannot capture their beauty, visible in only a moment, as they flash about their watery world.

Gladly seeking succour from the safety of the heron's beak, they entertain me like little ballerinas on the stage.




The water lilies smile at me in the sunlight.

They, too, dance on the water surface as they bounce and bob in the breeze.



The gosling have a biz of fuzz on their heads, their downy feathers blow in the breeze.

18 comments:

mick said...

A great post! Beautiful photos and words!

Jane said...

Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing:)

Carletta said...

What a lovely photo essay!


My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

SandyCarlson said...

That is a beautiful, beautiful place.

Dagrun said...

You describe your shots so well. A peaceful and lovely post.

Cloudia said...

What a beautiful post and place, Jenn!
You are giving Waikiki a run for it's money ;-)

Aloha-
Comfort Spiral

Jenn Jilks said...

I disagree, Cloudia!

Check out my January posts! With -30 degrees, frozen lake, 3' of snow, it is a bit extreme...but we like it.

Redzlan said...

I love reading your poem, and beautiful photos too.

Ebie said...

A very educational post. Your photos are as beautiful as your description. Thanks for your visit.
This is my main web site

auringonkukka :) said...

so beautiful photos :)
have a nice day :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Such a lovely day to be at the lake, Jenn. To think you get to be there year round! Yes, I think winter is beautiful too. ;-)

Unknown said...

You had a great day! I love the frog hiding, it's so funny when critters think we can't see them. :)

George said...

I really like this tribute to the waters of our world. The pictures are beautiful and words go very well with them.

aino said...

Beautiful, so beautiful.

Denise said...

Each one of your photographs is a wonderful image. Thanks for sharing them.

Jenn Jilks said...

Thank you for our kind comments, all. I love my camera. I wish I could paint, but love to capture my critters on camera. So much fun. I have visited so many of your posts and so many capture wonderful worlds.

Arija said...

That was so beautiful with your so fitting description of all the wonderful things you show us. Thank you.

mimi said...

lovely view, i love little duck swimming.