Monday 20 July 2009

Garden of delights

A season of bliss
Together we created beauty
I led and you followed me
into the garden
I turned and handed you the torch
You took it up
I followed you in the dance
Together we prepared the garden
Tilled the soil
Pulled out the weeds
Then we planted our roots
Ensured that our rootkins were firmly grounded
We watched as they began to grow
Stood side by side as they blossomed


My roots go deep in this garden
I am the red poppy
growing tall and strong
Crimson petals waft in the breeze
Each year roots more firmly embedded in the earth


You are the lobelia
Beautiful deep blue face
with a hint of sunlight at the center
Lying close to the ground for protection
Uprooted at the end of the season
Removed from the strong winter
winds and cold snow


The seeds hold the promise of spring
I honour your spirit and lift you up even higher
You would not do well in rectangular window boxes
Walled in by 2 x 4's you would become rootbound and listless
You need fresh soil each year
A new outlook
Inspiration for your creative spirit
Freedom

We´ve shared much in this garden
But will you uproot yourself again?
Hesitantly I pick up the phone
Anxious for contact
Afraid to crowd your deep blue flowers
My slender leaves tremble in the wind
I stand back so as not to suck away your energy
Harm your shallow roots
My heart filled with ecstasy


Our rootkins blossomed
They filled our garden with colour
The simple but matter-of-fact tulip
The tall strong gold and white of the daisy
The deep purple calla lily that stands so proudly
The scented purple of the lavender bush
The orange and yellow of the primrose
The sights and smells and sounds
of our garden overwhelmed me


And you, my friend
You changed faces every few minutes
Sometimes you are the tiger lily
Glowing golden face
Or the clown-faced yellow pansy
Freckles beaming in the sun
Then you are the raven
the blue-black iris
Strong, alone and proud
Throwing me small offerings of love

I wondered if I was drowning
Stopped myself begging again for small moments
I built up a wall around me
It saved me from plummeting into the abyss
A hole I'd fallen into before
Just friends, but no friendship time
Discouraged and pale I fought my disease
The days were long
The nights were longer

I remained rooted and bound in strength
We grew strong as the love was shared
But you held back your heart
I sought courage
Then we found time for friendship

I could just be the me that I am
Not the roles I usually play
You too left your other faces behind
The sunshine of our friendship soothes my weary soul
Our combined energy has opened up my fearful buds

For a moment we danced in the wind in bliss
I stand tall and poised in this garden
Your gift of courage has not been wasted
My proud red face stretched towards the light
Absorbing life-giving rays
The hummingbirds visit me
They move from flower to flower
In erratic frenzy sucking up life-giving energy
Buzzing fiercely to remain aloft
Gently sipping the nectar
Casually tossing me morning pleasantries
Sharing the garden with the bees


You cannot fulfil my needs or desires
I am content to share a piece of this garden
Laughter and soul-to-soul hugs
We shall snatch moments
Even as the clouds gather
The rain washes over me

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Beautiful poem, Jenn, written by a true gardener.

Derrick said...

This is very moving, Jenn.

David Cranmer said...

I enjoyed this. Well done.