Wednesday 8 April 2009

NaPoWriMo #8 flames

napowrimo #8: wednesday is list day

No way I'm listing my flames! Married at age 19, divorced, then dating in my 40s I was too old to name them 'flames'!

I just lit a fire. With subzero temperatures it is cozy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dad’s morning ritual
gather the kindling
crumple newspapers
place them in the stove
a ritual my father performed
every morning before the sun rose
mom's cancer burned her cells
as the flames consumed the logs

there's a chill today
he'll light a fire

they hadn't been warm for years
fragile and ravaged by toil
radiation burned away that protective layer
they both brought in logs
moving one at a time
weary with the labour pains of living
dad’s brain tumour eating his mind
flames flicker reflected in his eyes

there's a chill today
they'll light a fire

here I come, I said
I’ll help you carry the load
Afraid of my motivation
Yet unable do it alone
I honour and laud them
every day of my life
grateful for being chosen
no longer facing strife

there's a chill today
I'll light a fire

With mom gone to the light
I remember the last fire he lit
when I rose to greet the day
he lay asleep on the floor
trying to get warm
the radiation had burned his scalp
much as the flames in the stove

there's a chill today
I'll light a fire

they've gone now
both are at rest
after a lifetime of lifting others
no long do they toil
they have a lighter load
for my morning ritual
I genuflect in front of the stove
warmed by memories of love

There’s a chill today
the cat needs a fire

8 comments:

Jeeves said...

Soo deep. Like this

Bsquared86/Bsquared0408 said...

Wow, incredible. The images related to your parent's illnesses are the most striking. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Cynthia Huddleston said...

Nice movement and great imagery. Unexpected kitty is nice.

angie said...

beautiful.

and I think you did use the prompt--who is our first love, after all, if not our dear old dad?

Jenn Jilks said...

You're right, Angie! Dear old dad.

It's my Mom I keep wanting to phone!

Mom died so quickly - 6 weeks after I moved here, but dad I cared for for months.

The Weaver of Grass said...

A very beautiful and moving tribute Jenn - I am sure each time you light a fire you think of them both.

Pam said...

This was very lovely-- the repetition worked so well as the endless loop of memories playing again and again.

gkgirl said...

this was amazing...
and heartbreaking.