Sunday 4 January 2009

Spirituality

I have been reading "Awakening the Buddha Within", by L.A. Das.
What a great text.
  • Knowing truth is Buddha.
  • Expressing truth is Dharma.
  • Embodying and living truth is Sangha.

For us, as seekers, what matters is how we attend to the present (p. 46). I know I spend much time in personal reflection on my mistakes, more than the effort I put into the present. There is only the now. I often get stuck in the past.

Das says that this includes motivation, intention, aspiration, desire, hope and expectation.
Rev. Ed Bacon says that we must spend more time in reflection and experience that 'still, small voice'.

I hear that voice when I sit and talk to our waterfowl on our shores. Sometimes I capture them in photos, often I just feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my face. It gives me a sense of this ecosystem we call earth. We are all connected, yet most of us feel disconnected.

Being in nature, since I cannot meditate well lately, works best for me.

1 comment:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Nature works best for me in everything. Sitting and looking at the birds, the wildflowers, the trees - all these things give me a sense of peace that I could not manage without.