Wednesday 14 January 2009

my refrigerator

Up here in Muskoka things are quiet. Most of the restaurants in the smaller towns have shut down for the month of January. It is so sad!

In a big shopping trip to look for a new purse probably 6 / 9 stores were closed, too. Since it is a 45 km drive to the big town, we consolidate our trips. Hubby took the car in..I went shopping.

I went home and began to reflect. What is open?
Aha! My refrigerator! Waaay too often.

What is on YOUR refrigerator?

I have been sensible, now that I've gone through the grieving process, as well as mourning and bereavement. My parents are buried...well, in their respective urns, on a shelf leading down to the basement, and I have to take care of that... mañana.

The stress of publishing my book is over. I am getting some rave reviews, which makes me feel great.

Then, I began to reflect what was ON my refrige.
My husband keeps track of items in the refrige & freezer. We have a cholesterol guide, since both of us have high cholesterol.

The shopping list, on a nice train-themed paper. (My husband likes trains, former airline government relations guy, who knew?)

My kids' Xmas card. But most prominent is the photo of my two babies: the book and my granddaughter in her Xmas suit.

There is a ticket for a cherry wood wine cellar filled with Niagara wines. No luck, though, that was done in December. I oughta throw it out.

The red & white magnet for South Muskoka Medical Centre is there - we have a great doctor in a great team practice. (I made him buy my book, too! He was the one who figured out I had depression.)

I attended a training workshop and they gave me a frige magnet, "101 Ways to Cope With Stress'. One way is NOT to open the refrige, as relieving stress by eating is so bad! A Google search found 2.29 million hits on this topic: stress...but I digress. I find blogging, reading, writing helps.

Snacks are such a nice ending to the day....and popcorn, but I fear my girth reflects my preponderence for 'treats'. My life is fairly stress-free, and I have to be sensible.

There is a list of our Meals on Wheels clients, plus contact numbers. Hubby, Brian is in charge while Jack is in Gravenhurst. What pressure!

Mostly, in this beautiful, snowy land of Muskoka, I have to not feel guilty being retired. If there is something that calls me, I will answer. Guilt is such a female thing! I continue to volunteer for Victim Services, sit on the Board of the Muskoka Children's Aid (fycsm.ca), serve on the executive (Political Action Committee chair) for Retired Teachers of Ontario (District 46). Life is good!

No comments: