Sunday 4 January 2009

choral music


I have been reflecting back on a life singing in choirs. I enjoyed it immensely. The recent holiday season brought back memories.

I grew up singing in our church choir, joining my parents at age 13. I was in the East York Chorus, with Albert Greer. I joined the Ottawa Choral Society in the 80s, and greatly expanded our repertoire.

When we sang Russian, it was amazing. I learned so much with our speech coach. I recall leaving the concert (it was Ottawa-with many embassies in the city) and seeing guns in the limos in their own specially installed holsters. Quite the time!

Christmas, of course, was a time of great joy. We found many choral books around Mom's house. They sang in Elderberries choir, a Muskoka choral group for seniors.

I imagine that over the years this artsie endeavour has been perpetuated by the incredible high school choirs, vocal teachers and Kiwanis Festivals that help shape and create an energy and spirit of soaring song.

In burying my mother, and going through her things, I found many artifacts that document a life well sung! She sang and danced in a group in 1937. I love the photo. They were a musical family. My aunt played piano.




No comments: