Sunday 5 October 2008

strategic voting

I think the media is giving a great amount of coverage to a concept that has yet to be fully explored. The mainstream media, as well as columnists in local papers (Vote swapping & strategic voting), seem to be advocating for an ABC (AnyoneButConservative) approach to this election. This is a scary thought.

I cannot for the life of me see what the difference is between the Conservatives and the Liberals. While the Conservatives have instituted a lower taxes, more cash to the people philosophy, the Liberals, who have traditionally operated with a sense of entitlement, are no better.

I resent journalists advocating for this philosophy.

We must vote according to our consciences. In responses to a question at the Parry Sound - Muskoka riding debate in Gravenhurst, candidates explained how they felt about this issue. Voting for the lesser of two evils you will never end up with what you believe in. You must indicate, in a democratic system, whose positions you believe best represent you and your values. If you vote strategically, you jeopardize the results for future elections. I felt I could not vote strategically, as I wanted to convey to my local politicians, and party leaders, which platforms best represented me and my ideas. When it comes right down to it, my vote likely will do less in ousting a politician and more to put my vote behind the party I believe in.

Voter turnout (64.7 %) is iffy, at best, and with 9000 voters signing in to the vote swapping site, I would hope that the rest of the millions in the electorate would be wiser. I was trying to determine how many eligible voters there are in Canada's population of 30 million and I could not. I am not sure anyone knows. I do know that I want my vote to be firmly placed in front of those planks and platforms that allow me to be voting freely in a democratic process.

No comments: