Friday 17 October 2008

Dissonance

This post hit home with me, Judy. We moved to give palliative care to my parents. After they died we moved into my parent's house. The neighbours enabled them to remain here longer than they should have. They are particularly old-fashioned in this community. I tried to attend their church, but I couldn't fit in. They insisted the Bible says 'brothers', and would not include women by adding 'sisters. (They set the women's movement back 40 years.)


Currently, the town is fighting a dam redevelopment , with which I agree. (There has been a dam there since the late 1880s) The dam is already there, and everyone is up in arms about it. I think it just might be progress and certainly is good for the environment. I feel pretty much alone. I am posting a My Town Monday with more info, but there is a picture bigger than our little town. I am trying to model "Even if you don't see eye to eye, you can still walk arm in arm." It is difficult.

I just watched an Oprah show on women who changed the world.
You cannot change some minds. You can only life your life as you see fit. When there is a time to speak, you will be so moved. I just heard Maria Schriver speak about her Minerva Award.

"Every single person is capable of being an architect of change, even if it's just speaking up at your own dinner table," she says. "Even if it's speaking up for your child in school, fighting for the right education plan for your child, doing something in your community…every single person, I believe, is capable of that."

No comments: