Thursday 18 September 2008

The New TV Season

Alright, finally the new season is starting to come together. Every year, since we had a TV in the 50s, we would welcome new shows. We watched Batman as kids, The Wonderful World of Disney, Ed Sullivan, and so on. But I date myself.

Now, after a career in education I have retired. No longer do I have to attend after school meetings, or go to workshops, take courses, or do the numerous activities necessary to look after a family: ferrying kids to and from school, play, lessons, activities and events. My parents I cared for as they fought their respective battles with cancer. The sandwich generation is a tough one to live through.

My days are filled with volunteer work and writing for fun and pleasure. My nights are filled with meetings for the organization for which I volunteer. I am able to make choices. I have much more time, now, to watch TV -- guilt-free! The problem is that I do not feel that the shows are geared for me and my generation.

I remember watching 5 CSIs in a row the night dad passed away. It was bizarre, as this show took me far and away from my dad's laboured breathing. I could go to a world where there was a certain amount of science and see beautiful people work very hard.

I have just seen the season premieres of several shows. One of my favourites, Bones, is about a lab in the Institute in which scientists explore various plot lines revolving around pathology cases in conjunction with the FBI. Having been through this building, I find it hopeful to see these incredibly beautiful, and nearly perfectly coifed men and women, explore the mysteries of a case and determine, using state-of-the-art technology, the cause of death in a case in an hour. I know it unrealistic. I know that most detective work is pounding the pavement, but I like the scientific principles and the technology the purport to use. It is different than my reality.

The issue I have this year is that they are increasingly making these types of shows soap operas. Now, I don't know who their target audiences are, but it sure isn't me. I really do not want to have a good mystery and plot line confounded by who is in bed with whom. The characterization on such shows is increasingly puerile, too. They develop incredibly arrogant, or rude people, like Hugh ... character, Dr. House, whom I would not tolerate as a physician no matter how skilled. I would rather die.

1 comment:

KasiaK said...

Great blog ;]

http://helppomoc.blogspot.com